Wednesday, November 24, 2004

User Comments in Online Documentation

If I was to give a prize for the best online documentation of a product, I would definitely give it to the documentation of MySQL. Not only is the documentation very informative, but MySQL guys also allow user comments in their documentation.

Just check this link out, and you'll see what I mean. I was running into a problem today - I was trying to drop a database, but MySQL complained about some foreign key contraints. So I check the documentation, and sure enough - other users had similar problem and posted the solution !

I wish all documentation was as great as MySQL's ! I'm writing some stuff in Python now, and documentation sucks. As a result my productivity, while writing this otherwise easy script, has been very very poor.

PS. Here is something ironic. Google created a special page for searching Microsoft specific documentation.

1 Comments:

At November 30, 2004 at 6:07 PM, Blogger Alex Pilchin said...

Nice! I love the way that website is layed out ... its really cool.

Its a great idea to add User comments in documentation; after all usually the released documentation is not able to cover all cases, and if a user finds a problem and doesn't have the option of adding a comment, he would need to notify the people in charge of the documentation about it. This takes quite a bit of time, and in the end, the whole process wold take way too long for the documentation to be updated online.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home